Each season we hire a few full time farm assistants as well as part time workers.
FARM ASSISTANT DUTIES:
Work tasks vary with the seasonal and daily needs of the farm. Tasks may include: seed sowing, seedling care and watering, field prep and fertlization, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, pest control, harvesting/washing/sorting produce, harvesting flowers, arranging bouquets, caring for layer hens and honey bees, assisting with wedding flower set-up, and more!
FARM ASSISTANT QUALIFICATIONS:
- A positive attitude, reliability, punctuality, strong work ethic, good communication skills, and willingness to take on responsibility.
- An ability to work independently, in a small group, and with the public.
- An ability and desire to perform full days of physically demanding work. Tasks often require repetitive and strenuous work such as bending repeatedly and carrying heavy objects (50 lbs.)
- A willingness to strive for work efficiency and speed.
- An attention to detail. It is very important when growing high quality, high value crops.
- Previous farming, gardening or landscaping experience is preferred but not required.
FARM ASSISTANT EXPERIENCE:
These work skills can be translated to a wide range of future activities: from intensive small scale gardening to larger scale production. After a full season on Blazing Star Farm farm assistants will have a realistic understanding of what it takes to plan, grow, and market produce and cut flowers commercially.
FARM ASSISTANT WORK DETAILS:
Full season: May 1st through the third week of October. Exact dates change from year to year.
Weekly requirements: 40-45hours/week including Saturdays.
Compensation: Hourly wage is based upon experience. Farm produce is available seasonally. Housing may be available as well.
NOTE: Part time positions will have different seasonal and weekly requirements.
For more information or to apply contact Suzanne at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-466-5797
We welcome volunteers on the farm (usually on Wednesday afternoons) but we do need to make arrangements in advance.
Please call Suzanne at 401-466-5797 at least one day beforehand to confirm our schedule.